Monday, April 9, 2012

Countown to the Boston Marathon - "No, I'm not excited!"


Date: April 8, 2012
Days till the Boston Marathon: 7


It's been 14 weeks since I started training for Boston.  On January 2nd, I welcomed the New Year with a determined resolve to run the Boston Marathon fitter and faster than I did in 2011.  Unfortunately, due to injury, I had to abandon the "fitter and faster" part, but I haven't abandoned the determined resolve.

"Are you excited about the marathon"?  I seem to hear that a lot these days from curious friends, family and colleagues who continue to support of my all-consuming running adventure.  "No, I'm not!", I reply.  I think it surprises people that I reply "No" - everyone but fellow marathon runners.  Having a marathon just 7 days away is not like having a birthday party just 7 days away.  Yes, both days are cause for celebration, but the marathon requires me to run for 42 kilomters before I get party.  And I don't even want to party after that.  After a marathon, I crave a quiet place more than anything - somewhere where I can digest the events of the day.

I do get excited for the marathon - eventually; but generally not until a day or two before the race.  Up until then, my mind is still chewing on thoughts of worry and general preparations. (Do these arm warmers match my vest?  LOL)

Tuesday morning I will go for my final session of physiotherapy before the race.  One more round of shock wave on the hamstring in hopes that it will buy me just a few more kilometers before the increasing pain, caused by the calcification on my muscle, begins to rob me of my peace of mind. My training schedule for the final days before the race will be:


Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: 45 minutes easy riding on the bike
Thursday: 6k run at race pace
Friday: 7k run at a leisurely pace
Saturday: rest
Sunday: rest
Monday: MARATHON!!!!!!

And with that, I will get back to my race day preparations: hit the foam roller, create my music play list and rest!  T-minus 7 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment